What I Read This Week: July 3, 2016

This week was lovely. I very rarely get to say that about DC weather at the end of June. I walked outside a ton... including to work on Wednesday. 4 miles! On Saturday, The Husband and I got together with a small group of friends for a picnic in Dupont Circle. Outdoors was a great place to be this week. I'm kind of bummed that the weather promises to be not that great for Independence Day.
  • Magazines
    • Washingtonian, July 2016 - The cover story was about all the things you can see, do, and eat in and around the Chesapeake Bay. I marked a few things for The Husband and I to possibly try in the future. Beyond that piece I enjoyed the very brief article on tiki bars in DC (which is how I plan on celebrating my birthday in a few weeks). I also LOVED the article on the local runner with cerebral palsy. It had me on the verge of happy tears. Finally, this issue was a touch thicker than usual but that was because it was packed with lawyer and realtor reviews. Blergh.
    • National Geographic, July 2016 - I feel like I read the cover story about CSI-like evidence in The Atlantic a month or so ago. This piece focused on a new type of DNA - one that helps to reconstruct what a criminal or victim might look like based on their DNA. It was a fine read, but I enjoyed the articles on great white sharks (shark week!) and the revival of Virunga, the African wildlife park, much more. 
  • Books
    • I finished off What If? It was a very entertaining book to read. I posted my review earlier this week.
    • I'm about halfway through Doctor Dealer the book is quite good, but I kind of want to finish it much faster than I am. Last weekend, The Husband and I watched Everest. I was so into the story that I decided to pick up Into Thin Air the next day. I want to finish Doctor Dealer so that I can get my hands on Krakauer's book.
  • Other
    • Article club met this week. We read a brief piece on self-compassion versus self-esteem. I very much liked what the article said, and I loved the conversation it spurred.

Comments