What I Read This Week: July 24, 2016

It's a short list this week. I had the week off so I spent a lot of time checking items off my lengthy, at home to do list. There are so many completed Xs in my bullet journal that I think I earned a merit badge. At the very least I earned a cookie. (*runs to cabinet to grab an oreo*) I feel extra productive this week because I finished the first draft of my first (ever!) article I'm submitting to a journal. I have not written a paper like this since grad school. I was out of practice, but I think it turned out well.
  • Books
    • I finished reading Used and Rare. Once I got over how pretentious the authors sounded, I loved the book. It reminded me of days working in a used and rare bookstore. 
    • I started reading the classic book The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. Since this book is over 100 years old, it's taking me a little longer to get through the prose. Irving's text is a bit different from the modern writing style I'm used to.
  • Other
    • Everyday The Chronicle of Higher Education sends me several emails with a selection of stories. This week, there was a great piece on millennials becoming managers in the academic work force. This is me. I nodded in agreement through the whole darn thing. (This article is under a premium lock, but if you have access, it's worth the read). 
    • A great piece by Michael Arnovitz on The Policy that basically explain the sexism that keeps Hillary's poll numbers down.... and also why people like her when she's working.


Comments