What I Read This Week: June 5, 2016

I am so amazed by how much time I have now that I no longer read everything on the internet. I Kondo-ed my RSS feeds and was ruthless. I mainly scrapped news feeds (have no fear, I still get a shload of informative email newsletters), but the amount of time that I have now that I'm not trying to READ ALL THE THINGS is just amazing. So, of course, I now seem to spend that extra free time reading books... but still. I consider that progress.
  • Work
    • American Libraries, June 2016 - First, this magazine overhauled its layout and style. I very much like the changes. Now onto the content! The bulk of this issue was devoted to the annual meeting in Orlando. I'm not going. Sad face. ALA turned 140 this year, and I loved reading about our organizations proudest moments. Librar* for the win! There were also great pieces on Sci-Hub and recruiting/retaining volunteers.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, June 2016 - The cover article on Donald Trump did not ease my fears about this man winning the presidency. I appreciated the new angle (looking into his phsychological personality traits as compared to other presidents), but the whole idea of Trump in the White House still makes me shudder. Turning to the story on DNA, I found the the findings scary given how much we rely on this evidence to "prove" cases. In more positive area, I loved the story how how we can boost kids grit and resilience to foster their education and growth. 
  • Books
    • I've nearly finished Orchard House. I am so happy that I grabbed this book from the library. It is everything I hoped it would be and more.
    • Since I finished all my magazines, I needed something to read while I half watched The Husband play the Uncharted videogames. I picked up What If? by Randall Munroe (or XKCD fame) since it's easy and the chapters are brief and allow me to look up and check out the purty scenery of the video game.
  • Other
    • BuzzFeed posted an awesome crash course article on Bullet Journaling. I'm kind of in love with this idea and think I may need to start one either soon (i.e. July) or as my resolution for 2017. I'm leaning toward July because I am really, really excited about this idea.

Comments