What I Read This Week: February 28, 2016

Yesterday, The Ladies and I went to high tea at a local hotel. It was delicious and lovely, and I'm glad we've made this a semi-yearly tradition. We sip, we eat, we chat - it's very much something out of Jane Austen... except we tend include feminist discussions in our conversation.
  • Magazines
    • Good Housekeeping, February 2016 - I skimmed most of this issue, but I surprised by how much I enjoyed the story on Joy Mangano. She's the woman who invented the miracle mop. Who knew a home shopping maven could be so interesting. Now I'm almost intrigued enough to see the movie Joy. There were also some decent comfort food recipes in this issue.
    • The Atlantic, March 2016 - The issue took me almost two weeks to read because I read it cover to cover. The lead feature on putting America back together was simply fantastic. It that's a TL;DR for you, the snippet about the factors that show what makes cities resilient is a must read. On top of that, there were fantastic pieces on math education and an attempted coupe in Gambia. Finally, one of the last stories was about a guy buying up water rights in the west. It was an intriguing look at the possible future of economics and environment.
    • Cooking Light, March 2016 - I feel like this issue was written
      with me in mind. One of my favorite things to cook are one-pan pasta dishes. This issue had several of those recipes that I want to try. On top of that, there were great pieces on how and why you should add citrus (or acids) to your dishes and kitchen hacks that might prove useful. 
  • Books
    • I'm still working my way through Shelters of Stone. I only read about 30 pages this week, but at this point I would have finished a "normal" sized book. I still can't get over that I'm 350ish pages in and the story has only covered about a week's worth of time. Epic. Yes it is.
  • Other
    • Salon posted a fun article on the 25 facts everyone knows that aren't actually true.
    • The Atlantic posted a mildly infuriating story on all the unpaid labor women do and how it impacts development.
    • Article Club met this week. We read an article from The Atlantic about when you become an adult. The general consensus in our group... the societal milestones are bunk. Everyone adults differently.

Comments