What I Read This Week: August 30, 2015

This week was intense. My grandfather was buried at Arlington National Cemetery in an incredibly beautiful and moving ceremony. We had a ton of family in town for the ceremony. Thus, I spent most of my time with them (eating a lot of food) and not reading. The Husband and I finally got our apartment back from the flooring issue and house guest (at least my brother is easy to host), but it was a loooooooong week.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, September 2015 - Even with everything that was going on this week, I managed to finish this issue. It is, hands down, one of the best issues The Atlantic has ever published. The cover story about trigger warnings would have been good on it's own, but it was supplemented by great pieces on humor on college campuses and incarceration in New Orleans. Most important, however, was the letter by Ta-Nehisi Coates to his son. This letter talks about what it means to live in a black body in our society. It is devastating to read and exquisitely written. More than once I found myself on the verge of tears. There was so much I thought I knew, and this piece showed me just how little I understood. If you read only one thing this year, let it be this piece. 
  • Books
    • I'm working my way through Astonish Me. It's quite good so far and makes me miss dance more than I thought I would. I have a weird feeling that this story is going to linger with me when I'm done.
  • Other

Comments