Why I Love... Re-Reading Childhood Favorites

After taking an unexpected summer break from this feature, I come back to you to discuss why I absolutely love re-reading childhood favorites.

Earlier this summer, I had this massive urge to re-read Island of the Blue Dolphins. I have no idea where it came from, but I decided to pick up the book from the library and give it a nice, nostalgic re-read. Aside from greatly enjoying my re-read, those nights buried in some of my favorite childhood pages reminded me why I love re-reading those books.

Every page is a trip down memory lane. I remember where I was when I read the book the first time. I remember how I felt discovering those characters and scenes. I remember how I would share my joy with friends and family. Re-reading those books is an instant remember when moment that brings back nothing but good memories.

In addition, it also gives me a chance to see what those books mean to me now. Do they hold up? Does my life experience change how I view the book? Emotionally, do I react differently? Some books are exactly the same; others feel completely different.

Each re-read is a new trip, and I love every moment of it.


Comments