What I Read This Week: July 19, 2015

When this auto-posts I will be boarding a boat with friends for a brunchy booze cruise. This outing is to celebrate my birthday. Woot! My actual birthday is tomorrow, but who can say no to eating breakfast foods on a boat that shows you the monuments of DC? Normally, I just do a simple dinner or drinks outing for my birthday, but this year I wanted to do something fun. Hat tip to The Husband for planning and organizing everything.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, July/August 2015 - It took me almost two weeks of commutes to read this issue because I read every single word. Instead of recommending specific articles, I really out to just say it's all worth it. That said, I do want to point out that the three feature pieces on a world without work, babies in prison, and Saudi Arabia going solar are just fantastic.  
    • National Geographic, July 2015 - I read the cover story about Pluto the day after New Horizons released it's first images from the flyby. What timing! Aside from that bit of fun, I also enjoyed the article on tracking down the host of the ebola virus. It's a fascinating and important bit of detective work.
  • Books
    • Who takes more than a week to read a play. This girl! But I finally finished Cat on a Hot Tin Roof in time to pick up my new book from the library. I love it when a hold you requested from the library comes in at the absolute perfect time.
    • That new book? Why it's just a deliciously light reading (but larger than anticipated in actual size) novel called The Royal We. I am a huge royal watcher (namely of Kate Middleton's wardrobe), so this book has been on my TBR list since it was released. I have no expectations for this book, but so far I am enjoying what few pages I have read.
  • Other
    • The Husband and I kind of geek out about space from time to time, so the New Horizons Pluto flyby was on our radar all week. Time posted a wonderful article about why this mission matters. In that same vain, The Guardian posted 10 awesome facts about the mission.
    • I may no secret of the fact that I think Hillary Clinton is awesome. So, this piece from The New York Times on her re-re-re-reintroduction is right up my alley.

Comments