Why I Love... Conference #Hashtags

This week, I am attending the Computers in Libraries conference. I lucked out that this shindig is only a mile from my apartment. I can walk to and from the event each day. It's so convenient. 

What is also convenient, is that many of my fellow librarians are prolific twitterers. Since this conference consists of many concurring sessions, I can physically sit in one session while eavesdropping on another via the conference hashtag. I've attended this conference before with nothing but a notepad, and it was a one dimensional experience. I feel that I'm getting a much richer experience because I can have conferences with my colleagues and learn WAY more than I could without Twitter. We even schedule meet-ups with one another to continue our online chats in person.

This conference is not alone in having a hashtag. Most conferences promote an official moniker which means I can drop-in and learn even when I'm not in the area.

If you're curious, the hashtag is #cildc.

Comments