Why I Love... Finishing Bad Books

I can't not finish a book once I start it. I just can't. Don't ask me why - I have no logical answer to give you. That means I often slog through books that either stink outright or, more often, just aren't doing it for me at the moment. When I finish a bad book there is the immediate sense of relief followed by a few days of thinking "Why?" Why didn't I like this particular book? Was it the book? Was it me? Would someone else like this? Why them and not me?

I think all of these questions make me a better reader and a better librarian. I learn more about what I like, while also expanding my palette to make recommendations for others. There are so many books out there that I should not feel compelled to keep reading something that is not working for me. Even when the book is "the worst," however, I still think I grow by finishing it.

Life is about learning lessons, good and bad, from your experiences. I think the same goes for books.


Comments