What I Read This Week: March 8, 2015

I had a snow day on Thursday. Woot!

I did laundry, baked cookies, and took a walk to take some pictures of the prettiness. What I love most about snow days is how quite the world seems to get. There's just a hush to everything when it snows - even when hear kids squealing as they play outside. Snow days are perfect for hibernating with reading, which is why this list is so lengthy.

  • Magazines

    • Real Simple, March 2015 - This was mainly a flip through issue for me. The cover story on anti-aging skin care was information, but nothing new to me. The article on how men and women handle illness differently was also interesting. Otherwise, everything else was just kinda, meh.
    • National Geographic, March 2015 - SCIENCE! I am all about articles that call out science denial. The cover story was a perfect read for me. I found the piece on bioluminescence fascinating (and the pictures were pretty). If I were just flipping through this issue for the pictures, I would definitely have stopped for a longer look at the Greenland ice sheet. Those images were just stunning. I want a few of them for my wall.
    • Food Network Magazine, March 2015 - All I can really say here is, "Yum!" I only pulled on recipe to try (dulce de leche cookie bars), but lots of stuff looked tasty. I enjoyed that the overall theme for this issue was food from around the world. That gave the recipes some extra oomph.
    • HGTV Magazine, March 2015 - I received this subscription as a gift from my Mom (who also got me the Food Network subscription). The pictures are really pretty and I always love looking at home decor, but this felt more like a catalog than a magazine. The editorial on curb appeal was nice.
  • Books
    • I finally finished The Dante Club. WOOHOO! The peasants rejoice. I'll have my review in the near future. Spoiler alert: I didn't enjoy it. 
    • After the travesty that was the above book, I started reading The Martian. The Husband loved it and I've heard nothing but great things. I'm 26% of the way in (thank you Kindle counter), and loving it.

Comments