What I Read This Week: March 29, 2015

It's not often that I get to attack a ton of magazines in a week, but this was one of those weeks. Now if only I would read these while on the elliptical... oh well, maybe next time.

I also managed to take care of my taxes, even with all this reading. I should celebrate. By reading. Sounds like a plan to me.
  • Work
    • College and Research Libraries News, March 2015 - I nearly dumped this issue in the trash because I forgot it came with my ACRL membership. Luckily, I stopped myself just in time. No one article jumped out at me, but this issue had an overall theme of change in libraries... which seems to be the case with many things as of late.
  • Magazines
    • Washingtonian, March 2015 - Great. Now I need to do all the things. The cover story about the DC bucket list held a few items I would like to get around to. I also fell in love with the mini-pieces on brunch. I love brunch. Finally, there were two articles, one on the hip hop artist Logic and the other on the failure of DC's Serendipity, that are also well worth the read.
    • Real Simple, April 2015 - This is the 15th anniversary issue for the magazine. Most of the articles were collections of the best tips and products from the past years. I actually enjoyed reading about all the good information on beauty, food, health, etc. that they've discussed over the years. There was also a feature article I enjoyed about coming together as small communities in person (no more Bowling Alone). Specifically, I think I may need to talk to my friends about creating a "long-form article" club. We used to have a book club, but found it a bit hard to keep up with. This version might be a bit easier to manage.
    • HGTV Magazine, April 2015 - Well, this continues to be more of a catalog than a magazine, but I did enjoy how colorful this issue was. Aside from that, I did learn why there are weird, oil-like stains on one set of our linens. The dryer sheets are at fault!
    • Cooking Light, April 2015 - While I didn't pull any recipes from this issue, I love how fresh the felt. Spring issues are awesome in that regard. Other than my mouth watering a bit, I enjoyed the two separate stories on parties. This first was about healthy food swaps (several of which I might try) and the other was about different kinds of parties and how to host them. Now I feel the need to through together a shindig.
  • Books
    • I'm still reading Symbiont. This book is a lot longer than I thought it would be, but at least it's entertaining.It's got enough action that I even managed to read it in large chunks as opposed to ten minute snippets before falling asleep.
  • Other
    • The Washington Post online posted a brief but interesting article on the value of a particular cabernet. As a wine lover, I found it quite interesting.
    • Somehow I stumbled across an article on GIFs and academic study. Given my background in media studies, I thought it was an interesting case.

Comments