What I Read This Week: January 11, 2015

Why did no one warn me about all the paperwork that needs to happen after you get married? I was prepared for the Thank You cards (in fact, I love writing those guys anyway), but I completely neglected all the changes that would need to occur otherwise. This might take me a few weeks... months... years? I've already decided it was a great idea to keep a picture of our marriage license on my phone.

The wedding and honeymoon have left me with an epic backlog of magazines and blog posts to read. I am nearly caught up with the blogs, but I have opted not to start a new book until I finish all my magazines... or at least catch up to the most recent issues. The just seem to keep arriving in the mailbox faster than I can read them... but I will triumph! dammit!

  • Work
    • American Libraries, January/February 2015 - I spent more time reading this issue than I thought I would. The cover story is all about the mid-winter conference (skipped that stuff), but the rest of the issue was full of great information. This was a rather diverse issue, but I enjoyed the articles on screening movies and "safe" storytime.
  • Magazines
    • Cooking Light, December 2014 - I loved the "bake it forward" article in this issue. It encouraged readers to make a double batch of a baked good: one to keep and one to give away. Now that is the holiday spirit! The article on pairing wine with a multi-course meal was right up my alley. Finally, the article comparing how comfort food cooks in a slow cooker, dutch oven, and pressure cooker was very informative.
    • Cooking Light, January/February 2015 - I like chicken, but this issue was a bit chicken heavy for me. Aside from that, I did enjoy the article about swapping out comfort food in a healthier way. I also managed to pull a few, non-chicken recipes to try.
    • Food Network, November 2014 - The sides. Oh my goodness, the sides! They are my favorite part of Thanksgiving. It's a good thing I read this issue long after the holiday, or I would have tried to make them all. Yes - I need four kinds of stuffing,
  • Books
    • Whilst on the honeymoon, I finished The Mammoth Hunters. I am so in love with this series that I ordered the rest of the books from Paperbackswap in one sitting. Hopefully they will arrive in the correct, chronological order.
    • Also whilst on the honeymoon, I started a re-read of Outlander. I managed to finish it on New Year's Eve. It was a bit more dramatic then I remember, but I'm still having to hold myself back from re-reading the whole series. I have a ton of other, new reads that I need to get through.
  • Other

Comments