Why I Love... Movie Scores



Okay, so the headline topic is not exactly about books, but hang with me and I'll make my book related point.

I love movie scores. Love them! I have a rather large collection of CDs  that are nothing but movie scores. Hans Zimmer, John Williams, James Horner, Howard Shore - yeah, all about everything they compose. I love the drama and tension and movement that comes from film scores. There is a special feeling in movie music that just doesn't exist in "regular" classical music. And that feeling is what I love. There is a mood to scores.

So, my book point, as a mood-y reader, I like to set the stage when I settle down with a book for the long haul. That means creating an environment of immersion and my number one tool is movie scores. If I'm reading a book set in revolutionary America, I will put on the score from The Last of the Mohicans or The Patriot. Roman novel set in the ancient world? I've got Cleopatra. If the book is young adult, I'll probably throw in one of the many Harry Potter soundtracks. I like to choose movie scores whose mood fits the tone and feel of the book.

Once I've set the stage and settle in with a beverage, there is no moving me from that spot until I am good an ready to be done reading.

As an addendum, Book Riot posted an article about soundtracks from movies adapted from books. I own many of these.

Comments