Book 12: All Quiet on the Western Front

TITLE: All Quiet on the Western Front
AUTHOR: Erich Maria Remarque
STARTED: June13, 2014
FINISHED: June 27, 2014
PAGES: 248
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE:We are at rest five miles behind the front.

SUMMARY: [From BN] Paul Baumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other--if only he can come out of the war alive.

THOUGHTS: I decided to read this after The Fiance and I watch the History Series "The World Wars." I don't know why I avoided this classic for so long - it was very readable, even if the ending left me feeling a bit "blah." Despite my qualms with the very last pages of the book, I can understand why this book is considered one of the best novels about war. The brotherhood, devastation, and futility of it comes across clearly and, on some pages, in a highly emotional manner.

What made me think the most about this book is that if you changed the names and locations, it could be any war and any side. How I missed reading this in High School is beyond me. Of all the books they make you read, this one would have actually meant something to juniors and seniors.

RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments