What I Read This Week: June 15, 2014

It rained all week. I'm a fan of a good rainstorm, but everyday is a bit much. Quit it Mother Nature. At least the weekend was lovely.
  • Work
    • I perused the Ithaka S+R US Library Survey from 2013. It focuses on how academic library directors perceive their organizations role on campus. I was a bit surprised to learn that there has been movement away from research support of professors and grad students. I was not surprised at all to see that many directors see a skills gap in their staffing.
  • Magazines
    • The Atlantic, June 2014 - This was a slimmer issue than normal, but the two main articles were phenomenal. Whether you agree or not, Ta-Nehisi Coates "The Case for Reparations" is a thought-provoking piece. The article on the Yarnell wildfire that killed 19 firefighters was utterly heartbreaking. I was holding back tears at some passages. I also recommend that piece on Antonin Scalia.
  • Books
    • I finished The Arrangement. It was unexpectedly good.
    • The Fiance and I started watching History Channel's "The World Wars." (Good show.) It inspired me to hit my library's stacks and snag a copy of All's Quiet on the Western Front. I'm only a few pages in, but it's pretty good so far.
  • Other
    • Salon hosted an intriguing article on "The Tao of Martha." It was about those who try to emulate the domesticness of Martha Stewart. I get it. Have you seen my Pinterest?

Comments