Why I Love... NPR Books

I am an NPR addict. I listen almost everyday at work, and I send stories to myself to listen to as I work out. NPR is one of the few mainstream news outlets that still seems to showcase books, authors, and reading. I love NPR books because it keeps me informed and offers a fascinating way to learn more deeply about the book world.

Some of the stories I enjoy the most are the author interviews. NPR doesn't just share reviews (although those are awesome), they regularly interview authors about their books and past material. These interviews are always in-depth and offer a new way of understanding a person's work. I love how NPR hosts are always able to draw details and context out of their subjects. For example, Dave Davies interviewed Karen Russell on Fresh Air about her new novella Sleep Donation. Aside from making the book sound utterly fascinating, Davies asked Russell about where the idea of the book came from along with asking where specific concepts came from. Each question built on the author's previous answer and I was left enthralled for 40 minutes. 40 minutes! It might not even take that long to read this novella. And every NPR interview is like that.

NPR books is one of my prime sources for leaning about new books. In the past day alone, I've added three titles to my TBR list. The only downside to NPR books is that I end up finding books at such a pace that my reading speed cannot keep up. Sad face. At least I know I'll never be without an idea.

Comments