2013 in Review

How I Would Describe 2013
Books? What are books? I seriously lost my reading mojo this year. Yes, there was the distraction of getting engaged and starting to plan a wedding, but that cannot account for the fact that I simply was not in the mood to read this year. This was the worst reading year on record (only 34 books!) since I began tracking.

There were a few great books that came my way this year, but the bulk of my year was spent doing things other than snuggling with a hardcover.

Reading Goals v. Reading Reality
I decided not to make any reading/bookish resolutions in 2013. Maybe I need the incentive after all?

The Year in Genres
Fiction, wedding, and food were the themes of the year.

Fiction = 8
Library Science = 5
Cookbook = 5
Wedding = 4
Young Adult = 4
Non-Fiction = 2
Memoir = 2
Romance = 3
Travel = 1
Food = 1
Literature = 1

The Year in Ratings
A very middling year for ratings. I apparently decided that 7 was my favorite number.

1 = 0
2 = 1
3 = 1
4 = 2
5 = 3
6 = 9
7 = 14
8 = 2
9 = 2
10 = 0


The Five Best Books of 2012
Since I read less than 40 books this year, I've decided to list my top 5 books instead of my usual 10. The best books list loses a bit of importance if a quarter of my yearly reads make it.

5. Love and War by Patricia Hagan
4. Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel
3. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
2. Joy for Beginners by Erica Bauermeister
1. The Lost Art of Mixing by Erica Bauermeister

Two quick notes about this list:
  • I'm so happy I discovered Bauermeister. I love her books so much that I gave all of them to my mother for Christmas.
  • Yes, I included a book with a 2 rating on the list (Love and War). The book was bad, but I had an immensely fun time reading it.

2013 - You were not my best year. At least that feeling was limited only to reading. 2014 - Here we go!

Comments