What I Read This Week: September 8, 2013

It took me until Tuesday to realize that I never posted a What I Read This Week post for last week. D'oh! Oh well, the list would have been short. And by short I mean it would have mentioned that I read a few pages in my book. Last week was the first week of classes and it just so happened to coincide with the last major week of us closing/moving a campus library. Needless to say, not much reading was had. I made up for it this week.

  • Work
    • The ALA New Titles and Backlist Bestsellers 2014 Catalog arrived in my mailbox this week. I added a few books to my list to read.
    • I read a few chapters in my professional development book, The ART of People Management. So far, it feels like that authors are bragging about how awesome they are. Hopefully the ego dies out soon.
  • Magazines
    • The Knot: DC, Maryland, and Virginia, Fall/Winter 2013 - I quite enjoyed the "Best Of" list. I might be tracking a few of their recommendations down. I also liked the hint for displaying favors by the exit. We might be doing that as well.
    • The Knot, Fall 2013 - This issue was basically nothing but dresses. I was okay with that as I'm going dress shopping next weekend (squee!). I might ask The FiancĂ© to flag what he thinks I might wear walking down the aisle. I'm curious.
    • Martha Stewart Living, October 2013 - This issue had a ton of pretty Halloween pictures - mainly for ideas of how to "etch" pumpkins. I also liked the quick article on posture.
    • Cooking Light, September 2013 - My goodness was this a tasty looking issue. It's a good thing I read it after dinner or I would have made myself hungry. One of the best looking articles was all about meatballs. I also found the fast meals to be valuable - particularly the section that "souped up" pre-made, supermarket ingredients.
  • Books
    • I finished Ally Condie's lastest book, Reached, Saturday morning. It was a so-so conclusion to the series. Now I need to find something else to read and I don't have a clue what I'm in the mood for. Speak to me, oh reading muse!
  • Other
    • I have a "thing" for hushpuppies. A "thing" could be described as a love that requires me to eat all of them whenever they are around. So, when Slate posted an article on hushpuppies, I was greatly amused and pleased.



Comments