Why I Love... Rainy Day Reading

When I was growing up, my bed was right in front of a window. I used to grab a book, make a nest of pillows and blankets, and read for hours in that spot. It was my own little literary window seat. I would read there all the time, but my favorite time to read was when it was raining.

I could pop the window open and read to the sound of the raindrops hitting the backyard. The dim light of those days was perfect for illuminating whatever book I was reading. Sometimes, there was a gentle breeze that would splash a few raindrops against the screen. This created a cooling mist that, somehow, felt perfect on my skin. I could prop a glass of whatever beverage I had that day on the windowsill, and be content for hours.

I love rainy day reading because it's so calming. Outside the world might be icky, but inside... it's warm, cozy, and just like that nest I used to make on my bed. Rainy day reading gives me a feeling that I'm in a bubble, protected from whatever is going on outside. It also seems a bit quieter. Sure, it may be pouring out, but that just heightens the cocoon feeling of being inside. It's easier to get lost in a book when it's raining.

Whenever it rains, I always feel the need to grab a book and settle in for a few hours of uninterrupted page turning.

Comments