What I Read This Week: June 23, 2013

I think I might have found a new summer reading system. I read a chapter or article of whatever, and then I play 5 minutes of Theme Park on my iPad. I wanted a new game, and this little bugger did the trick. Warning - it's highly addictive. As a side bonus, however, I notice I read more because I'm killing time between collecting money.

It works for now, but I have a feeling I'll get bored with the game soon.

  • For work:
    • I finished the Pew Report about Library Services in the Digital Age. Reading this will come in handy when I need to cite statistics that library services have not been made irrelevant by computers, the internet, and mobile tech. 
    • I read an article by Sherianne Shuler and Nathan Morgan about emotional labor in academic libraries. It basically states that the emotional side of library work (dealing with difficult patrons, etc.) is just as exhausting as the physical side. Word.
  • In magazines:
    • Real Simple, June 2013 - This was a basic flip-through issue for me, I but I did stop and read the articles on organizing and the 50 books which might change my life. 
    • Cooking Light, July 2013 - I only pulled two recipes, but all the summer recipes (and regional burger ideas) looked absolutely delicious.
    • The Atlantic, June 2013 - As usual, I read this issue cover to cover while working out. I LOVED the article on gay marriage - it makes the point that people in same-sex relationships can't fall into gender roles. It was fascinating and highly informative. The story about rare diseases was also a good read - it introduced me to something new.
  • In books:
    • I finished reading Love and War. It was just as awful as I expected - but that is what made it an entertaining read. I'll post a full review soonish.
    • I started reading my weddings books. (Squeeee!) I'm nearly done with The Knot Ultimate Wedding Planner but it's going to take me awhile to get through The Knot Complete Guide to Weddings.

Comments