Book 14: Nefertiti

TITLE: Nefertiti
AUTHOR: Michelle Moran
STARTED: May 10, 2013
FINISHED: June 4, 2013
PAGES: 479
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: If you are to believe what the viziers say, then Amunhotep killed his brother for the crown of Egypt.

SUMMARY: [From BN] Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler’s heretical desire to forsake Egypt’s ancient gods. From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husband’s rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear.


THOUGHTS: This was an ideal airplane book. Jazzy enough to keep my interest, but not so complex that I got lost (or, really, had to concentrate). I wish I had more to say about this book, but it was a perfectly acceptable summer read. Moran developed her setting, plot, and characters well, and the writing was fine. I give this a better than passing grade because I love all things ancient Egypt.

RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments

Wendy said…
I'm not an "all-about-ancient-Egypt" girl - but I liked this one a lot too. Lots of high drama, and a great soap-opera-y plot. I also really enjoyed her Revolutionary France book - Madame Tussaud
Meghan said…
Exactly! I may have to track down that Madame Tussaud book.