Why I Love... Late Night Reading

Sometimes, I decide that I don't need sleep. Sometimes, I decide that all I want to do is read late into the night. Sometimes, The Fiance falls asleep before I do and I get to cuddle with a book into the wee hours of the night. Sometimes, I want to do nothing but read until I can't keep my eyelids open.

Late night reading is one of my favorite kinds of reading. It's quiet. It's dark. It's cozy. Even when The Fiance is there, I still get the sense that the world is made up of just me and my book. I get to fully focus on the story and shut the rest of the world out. Late night reading is completely immersive.

I love the feeling of falling so deeply into a book that I don't care what time it is. When I started Hunger Games for the first time and when I read Poison Study, I looked at the clock to see the hours pass from 1am to 2am and finally to 4am because books were too darn good to stop reading. Sure I need extra strong coffee the next day, but late night reading is a treat because it is so rare. I get to let the book take me away.

Some nights, in place of dreams, I read stories. It makes me happy.



Comments

Stefanie said…
I used to love late night reading but it's been years since I've managed to make it past 10:30 even if I have had some coffee.
Meghan said…
It is getting rarer and rarer for me as well. Most days I pass out after 5 pages, but those few times I can still do it... ahhhh, bliss.