What I Read This Week: August 5, 2012

I've been watching the Olympics all week (and expect do the same next week). I'm a spoiler lover, so I don't mind knowing the results beforehand. I find myself glued to the television during the prime time coverage (and the non-prime time when I'm home for it.) Sure NBC has it problems (and big ones at that), but at least I get to see the events.

For all of my TV viewing this week, I still managed to get some reading done. If there was an Olympic medal of reading coverage, I might get a bronze.

  • I finally (!) finished the July/August 2012 issue of The Atlantic. I found the cover story about Women to be very interesting. I'm an ardent feminist and I found myself nodding in agreement... most of the time. There were still some instances where I wanted to say, "But this thing!" I can see why the article has been controversial, but I think people are taking the whole thing too personally.  The article about Chris Christie and his man crush on Bruce Springsteen was also pretty good.
  • I started reading the primer the school handed out to incoming freshman. The primer has selected readings which are then discussed on the incoming student blog/website. It's pretty interesting and I'm playing catch up since I received the primer late. As I'll be teaching these freshman this year (as an embedded FYE librarian), I figure it might help to be familiar with the things.
  • Since it's Olympic season (as you might have noticed), I've been gobbling up the news of the goings-on in London. I've been loving the NPR blog, The Torch, in particular. If you can, I highly recommend following it for the rest of the games. I also enjoyed all the "giffed" Atlantic Wire articles (like this one and this one).

Comments