What I Read This Week: August 12, 2012

Olympics! Unlike many, I did not suffer from Olympics fatigue and watched every night - even though the second half (track and field) is not my favorite. NBC, I disagree with your tape delay, but I still boosted your ratings. (As a thank you to me, you should renew Community indefinitely.)

Even with all my TV watching, I managed to read a bit.
  • I'm back into my attempts to clean out my magazines. Moving and everything related to it meant that my subscriptions kept piling up. First on the docket, the July 2012 issue of National Geographic. It was an average issue, but enjoyed the stories on Easter Island and lost languages. I also liked seeing the black and white pictures of epic storms.
  • Yesterday, I managed to plow through four magazines. Go me! That just leaves me with the latest National Geographic to get to. Anywho, here is what I did read:
    • Everyday Food, September Issue - I pulled several delicious looking recipes, including one for caramelized pears.
    • Cooking Light, August Issue - I didn't pull too many recipes, but I loved the story about simple cooking.
    • Real Simple, July Issue - There were some great ideas for toasted marshmallows, and I loved the story about a women's running group.
    • Real Simple, August Issue - This was a fantastic issue. They had a whole feature on gorgeous flats (many of which I want), followed by a wonderful article on healthy snacking, and ending with a series of stories about conversations that changed lives. Pick up this issue if you can.
  • Book wise, I managed to put a dent in Condie's Crossed. So far, I think it's better than the first book in the series. I may need to schedule out a chunk of time to read more than 20 pages at once.
  • I'm still working on the FYE primer the university put out, I just keep getting wrapped up in other things at work.

Speaking of work, I took some time this week to clean out my inbox and the papers on my desk. I decided to condense all of the articles I've been saving to read "later" into one file on my desktop. Hooooboy - there are a lot of articles. I plan on culling them and then printing out the ones I actually need/want to read. That may be professional reading for the foreseeable future. 


Comments