What I Read This Week: April 1, 2012

I was not so busy this week. And by "not so busy" I mean that I wasn't cuh-razy busy like I've been the past few weeks. Frankly, I am ecstatic that this coming work week is a short one followed by the long Easter break holiday (also known as Spring Break: Part 2 by the undergrads). I need a long weekend to just bum around the apartment and chill... and import my HUGE file of collected recipes into Evernote.

As for reading, I set my eyes on some decent stuff this week.
  • First, I finished Mindy Kaling's book last Sunday night. I couldn't sleep so I just stayed up the read the whole thing. It was cute and easy. That may be exactly the kind of thing she was going for.
  • I flew through the March/April issue of American Libraries. I must admit, I did not read this issue as closely as I usually do. First, I read it while watching Food Network. Instant distraction (and desire to eat burgers). Second, I was not on the elliptical. Thus, no need to ignore the fact that I was exercising. That said, I still found a few articles of interest. Namely, I enjoyed the brief bit on "good" library signage as well as the bit on library and women's history.
  • At work, I flipped through the piles of magazines and papers I seem to have accumulated during my jaunt at Computers in Libraries. Most of the stuff I flipped through just to get through it, but I did stop to read:
    • "Survival Lessons for Libraries: Continuing Education (CE) Take Advantage or Lose the Advantage" from Searcher Magazine
    • "Searching, Waiting, and Hoping for Semantic Search" from Online Magazine
    • "What Students Should Know" also from Online Magazine
  • This week, a video/image of Batman being stopped for a traffic violation zoomed around the interwebs. The Washington Post did an article on the man behind the mask and it was a very nice story to read.
  • I'm almost done with my technical services management book. It's a rather informative and practical guide, and I'm finding some valuable ideas I may need to put to work. I would like to finish it sooner rather than later because, as a paperback, it keeps flopping around in my purse. I have this bag and it needs something solid in it to give it structure. This small book is not cutting it.
  • Finally, I started reading a romance novel, The Reckless One.... and I actually like it! The first night, I stayed up to read over a third of it before I decided it was a good idea to go to bed. Thank you, Connie Brockway. You're the first author in a while that has made me miss the romance genre.

Comments