Read-a-thon: Wrap-Up

The final completed pile.
Wow, that was a fun and, surprisingly, productive read-a-thon. I read for just over 19 hours, and finished all the books in my pre-selected pile. That's right - all. of. them.

I, frankly, didn't think that I would come anywhere near reading all of my books. Most of them were graphic novels, but I don't read particularly fast.

In the end, I finished 11 books for a grand total of 1,769 pages. Woot!

I pledged to donate $10 for every I completed to First Book. I will be making that donation later today.

I hope everyone else had a wonderful read-a-thon. See you again in October!

Before I go, here are my answers to the end of read-a-thon survey:

  • Which hour was most daunting for you?
    • The last one. The book was wonderful but I was getting tired.
  • Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year?
    • Graphic novels and stories that are easy to follow. They wake up your senses and don't over task your brain over the course of the day.
  • Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
    • Maybe easier/less time consuming mini-challenges. I didn't participate is as many this year because they would have taken a large chunk out of my reading time.
  • What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon?
    •  The "pump you up" videos in the hourly posts.
  • How many books did you read?
    • 11 - and yes, that number surprised even me.
  • What were the names of the books you read?
    • The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
      Cupcakes of Doom! By Ray Friesen
      Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty by Andrew Bolton
      The Titanic Sinks! By Thomas Conklin
      A Family Secret by Eric Heuvel
      I, Librarian by James Turner
      Death of a Travelling Man by M.C. Beaton
      Into the Volcano by Don Wood
      The Storm in the Barn by Matt Phelan
      Food Rules by Michael Pollan
      The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermesiter 
  • Which book did you enjoy most?
    • The School of Essential Ingredients - it was the best book I've read all year.
  • Which did you enjoy least?
    • Cupcakes of Doom! - it was merely okay.
  • If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders?
    • I was not a cheerleader, but they are awesome.
  • How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
    • Very likely. I mark the day off on my calendar as soon as I hear about it.

Comments