Book 49: Blankets

TITLE: Blankets
AUTHOR: Craig Thompson
STARTED: October 23, 2011
FINISHED: October 23, 2011
PAGES: 591
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: When we were young, my little brother Phil and I shared the same bed.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon] Revisiting the themes of deep friendship and separation Thompson surveyed in Goodbye Chunky Rice, his acclaimed and touching debut, this sensitive memoir recreates the confusion, emotional pain and isolation of the author's rigidly fundamentalist Christian upbringing, along with the trepidation of growing into maturity. Skinny, naive and spiritually vulnerable, Thompson and his younger brother manage to survive their parents' overbearing discipline (the brothers are sometimes forced to sleep in "the cubby-hole," a forbidding and claustrophobic storage chamber) through flights of childhood fancy and a mutual love of drawing. But escapist reveries can't protect them from the cruel schoolmates who make their lives miserable. Thompson's grimly pious parents and religious community dismiss his budding talent for drawing; they view his creative efforts as sinful and relentlessly hector the boys about scripture. By high school, Thompson's a lost, socially battered and confused soul-until he meets Raina and her clique of amiable misfits at a religious camp. Beautiful, open, flexibly spiritual and even popular (something incomprehensible to young Thompson), Raina introduces him to her own less-than-perfect family; to a new teen community and to a broader sense of himself and his future. The two eventually fall in love and the experience ushers Thompson into the beginnings of an adult, independent life. Thompson manages to explore adolescent social yearnings, the power of young love and the complexities of sexual attraction with a rare combination of sincerity, pictorial lyricism and taste. His exceptional b&w drawings balance representational precision with a bold and wonderfully expressive line for pages of ingenious, inventively composed and poignant imagery.

THOUGHTS: I wish I could give this book a full review... but it's been two weeks since I read it... and I don't remember much. Gah - bad blogger, Meghan!

I do recall being very intrigued by this book, but not being sure if I was supposed to focus on the "love story" or the "religion story." Both were very important parts of the book, but it was kind of hard to know the author's main point. I do remember laughing quite a bit, but I think that was related to the brothers' antics.

The art was quite nice. Very easy to look at, and full of detail. I love graphic novels that don't skimp on the art.

At best, I could say this was an enjoyable book at the time I was reading it - but it left no lasting impact on my memory.



RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments