On the Job: Welcome

The first staff member of my new project started today. To start this project off on the right foot, I tried my best to be welcoming. I asked about his recent vacation, we had a quick orientation meeting, and I told him to swing on by my desk at any time. (I also mention the candy bowl was open for business.) All of these little things can have a big pay-off when it comes to keeping an upbeat office atmosphere.

A warm smile, genuine interest, and concern for your new staff can go a long way to creating a comfortable work environment. If you are bringing on new staff (or just need to start out the day), it helps immensely to be welcoming.

It can be hard to transition to a new department, project, or organization if you feel unwanted or overlooked. Staff can feel uneasy in a negative environment. Everyone has their bad days, but those should be rare. As a manger or supervisor, you should always give off an inviting attitude. Your staff should feel comfortable coming to you for information, to offer recommendations, or just to chat.

Instead of putting up a stony facade, show your staff that you care about their work and well-being. Shut doors close off more than general office noise, they keep your staff out as well. And if you don't have doors, a facial expression that says "don't bug me" gives off the same impression.

Comments