On the Job: Personalize

I have heard varying opinions on decorating one's office space. One side argues that personalization is unprofessional. It makes the environment too casual and causes a slow down in productivity. The other side argues that personalization creates a comfortable, home-like environment which fosters a sense of a happiness which spurs work activity.

I am a firm believer of the second position. Stark white walls do not make me think "work;" they scare me with their overly sanitized sheen. Bare cubicle partitions and memo boards are screaming for me to pin up a fun item or two. My desks always scream of a brightly colored desk set or silly personal item. In decorating my work space, I gain a sense of comfort and ownership. To me, office decorations says, "This is my space and I am happy to work here."

While my new office area is a work in progress, I have added a few personal items: a bright blue desk set, glass candy dish, a plant, two tiny stuffed animals (a gift from The Roomie), and a new glass penguin (an office pet courtesy of the parents). I have also pinned this Zits comic to my cubicle wall. My walls are still bare, but I may need to hang up some work related things. If I don't, that bare space is going to acquire a poster or two.
 

Most people spend HOURS in their office area. They should be encouraged to decorate their space. Every person is different and their work area should reflect their personality. If you try to force people to work in the same, cookie-cutter environment, you're going to have some unhappy employees on hand. A little knick-knack here and there is a good way to encourage a diverse, positive work environment.

So, my fellow cubicle dwellers, as long as you don't go overboard, decorate away.

Comments