On the Job: Go For It

Forgive me for the inadvertent, two week absence of the On the Job column. One day I was traveling back from my brother's college graduation and the other was a holiday. I plum forgot to post both days.

I should also take this time to mention that I will be out of town for the next two weeks (West coast bound!) so blogging will be quite spotty. I hope you all will miss me, but the intertubes have a lot of other awesome stuff. Like this addictive (and adorable) video.

Now is as good a time as any to announce that I have accepted a new position in the library. Starting in July, I will be moving into the Stacks Inventory Project Manager position. Woot! It's a brand new position; one that I am a little nervous to take on but very excited to start. So, my advice this week: Go for it.

You never know where every opportunity will lead. Try something new. Ask a few questions. Apply for a new position. Just start a new project. It never hurts to try something. It may be a little scary, but I firmly believe that "going for it" always yields benefits.

Forging ahead can be a daunting task, but everyone has to do it. Stagnation is not the most viable option. I, like many others, do enjoy the occasional rut day or week. But, I find that going for the new project, collaboration, or random event is always more beneficial, more educational, and more enjoyable. Even if the new prospect seems scary, it's fun to take the leap and see what happens.

Even in failure going for it has its advantages. Failure is a chance for education. It shows you what does not work, but can also highlight what might. Failing also gives you a chance to see how strong you are, where your weakness lie, and, most importantly, can show that something not going right is not the end of the world or your career.

I say, just go for it. You never know what you might learn or what you could achieve.

Comments