On the Job: Give Thanks

I start my new job on Friday. (Woot!) While I am very, very excited to take this new step in my career, a part of me will greatly miss my current position. As Stacks Supervisor, I was given the chance to work with an incredible bunch of part-time employees. I learned as much from them as they did from me. The hardest part of leaving this position is saying goodbye.

Last week, I sent an e-mail to my employees notifying them of my new position. I kept procrastinating this task because I did not want to say goodbye. I stink at goodbyes. I'm not even leaving the library, and I still stink at goodbyes. My e-mail was short and sweet because I actually choked up while writing it. In my message, I told my staff about my new job, spoke about the transition to the new Stacks Supervisor, and, most importantly, thanked them for their hard work and dedication. (I also reminded "my gang" to let me know if they ever want a letter of recommendation.)

It always hurts to say goodbye to those who have done great work, but it's the easiest thing in the world to thank them. Saying "thank you" is easy to do and always appreciated.

So, gang, thank you again for all the hard work. I'll be sure to say hi when I see you around the library.

Comments