On the Job: I want candy!

It's raining out. While I love a good rainy day (when I can cuddle up with a mug of tea and a good book), my staff usual arrive in the office looking unhappy and wet.

Thankfully, I have a candy dish.

It's a small gesture that really boosts the mood of the office. I buy candy in bulk at CostCo (or at post-holiday sales) and refill the dishes as needed. I have a jar of loose candy and a bowl of wrapped candy.

My staff love to see when new stuff appears and it helps brighten bad days. I make sure to get suggestions from my staff so that I can always offer something everyone likes. (The peanut m&ms seem to run out the fastest.)

The candy dish is more than just a sugar rush - it's a small gesture to show I appreciate my staff and their valuable contributions to the library. It also offers "water cooler" moments. As my staff are selecting their candy, we can have quick conversations which keeps an upbeat mood in the office.

If you can't offer a candy dish, try to offer another small gesture - office pet, library swag, coat rack, etc. Small things that make the office a nicer place to be leads to happier, more productive employees.


(The downside to the candy dish... I find myself eating out of it far too often.)

Comments