On the Job: Dress Code

There is a saying that you should dress for the job you want and not the job you have. Meaning that one should always don clothing to suit the type and level of position they hope to achieve.

That saying makes perfect sense... in most non-library jobs. Library positions, on the other hand, can be tricky.

For instance, I spend a lot of my time bending, stretching, lifting loads of up 50 lbs, crouching, sitting on the floor, and running around in the stacks where the dust bunnies hide. It's hard to wear a skirt suit and heels all day when you spend half of your time doing physical tasks. In fact, wearing a suit would be foolish.

So, how can you show those around you that you are professional when you're sitting on the floor sorting books onto carts? Simple. Know each days duties and your wardrobe really really well. I would never wear a skirt during the end of semester rush. It would be covered in dust and I would spend far to much making modesty adjustments. Those weeks, I wear jeans, comfortable tops, and the all-important flats.

I can wear jeans during these months because I make an effort to dress professionally the rest of the year. When the job is less physical I break out the skirts (and tights - you know a plug for BOOLEAN had to be coming), jackets, and other classic business attire. This is the time of year where I build up my "professional dress capital," which allows me to wear more casual clothing when my position calls for physical activity.

Library work often requires balancing the needs of the professional workplace with comfort conducting physical tasks. You have to be prepared to match your wardrobe to the days activities. If you know you have a staff meeting, dress a little nicer. If you're day calls for working with damaged books, get an apron and don't wear your white or khaki business skirt (like I tend to do - doh!).

Librarians are often pegged as fumpy, casual, sloppy, and/or unfashionable dressers. I think that's a bunch of hooey. There are days we have to dress for crawling around on the floor during storytime. I'd like to see someone do that in a Dior suit. It just won't work.

Once you know your job, you can alter your wardrobe to suit your assignments. And, when you have the chance, you can dress for the job you want.

Comments