On the Job: Organized

I was supposed to train a new employee today. This was our third attempt to schedule this training session. The first two were rescheduled because of horrid winter weather. Today's session fell off the rails because it appears my e-mail was eaten by the hungry computer servers downstairs. The constant reshuffling has reinforced an idea to which I am greatly attached - organization.

If you're going to be flexible and ask a lot of questions, you have to be organized. Meetings change, duties come and go, and paperwork multiples on its own if you leave it unchaperoned - to handle it all, organization is your best friend.

I love my paper To Do list and Google Calendar. These two devices keep me on track and on time. Sure, they might get a wee bit buried under new paperwork, but I always know where these vital parts of my work life are. Each Friday, I sit down and write out the next week's To Do list. Each day receives it's own entry listing meetings, projects, and other "shtuff" that needs to be handle on or by that date. And I always (always!) make sure to leave a few lines of space in case something arises - and something always does. The best part of this To Do list... the immense sense of satisfaction I get from crossing off completed items.

As for the calendar, every time I schedule a meeting, event, project deadline, or even just some "I need to get this done" time it is immediately cleared through and added to my Google Calendar. I like the gCal because it's always available (at work, home, or elsewhere) to be reviewed and edited. Bonus points because I can set reminders and use multiple colors.

In addition to the To Do list and gCal, I use other systems (filing, project binders, etc.) to suit my needs. Every little bit of effort to stay organized has paid off ten-fold in efficiency and productivity. I can complete my work faster and more accurately because I know where everything is. Having a system in place also helps to corral any issues that may arise from spur of the moment projects and events.

These are two organization systmes that work for me - but they are far (so very far) from being the only systems. When it comes to staying on top of what your job requires, find a system of organization that works for you and stick to it. Start small with your systems, scale them up if they work, amend and review as you go along.

Librarians are always have new stuff thrown there way, if you're going to handle (and remember) it all, a system of organization is your best friend.

Comments