Book 31: Mockingjay

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)TITLE: Mockingjay
AUTHOR: Suzanne Collins
STARTED: October 9, 2010
FINISHED: October 9, 2010
PAGES: 400
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather.

SUMMARY: [From Amazon.com] Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.


THOUGHTS: I began my readathon with this book. Because I devoured the book so quickly, I let my thoughts about it roll around in my head for awhile. After much contemplation, I have to say that the conclusion to the Hunger Games series was just okay for me. I neither loved nor hated the ending, I just wish that the final book had the same addictive quality as the first book in the series.

Collins was still able to shock me on occasion, but the majesty of the first two books was missing. The whole volume felt a wee bit rushed, as if Collins couldn't wait to wrap things up. I enjoy a fast paced book, but not when that pace makes the book feel incomplete. The imagination of the story was still present, but the dramatic tension was off. I guess, by book three, you know how the characters are going to react to each situation.

This book bugged me a little because Katniss was beginning to feel selfish. Her reactions were in keeping with her character but, for all she's been through, I had hoped that Collins would have matured her a bit more. I found myself wanting to smack her at times and scream "Grow up!" Also, the rest of the characters in the series revolve too much around Katniss. Collins should have shown them as more independent characters. That would have added to the dramatic tension and realism of the story. In some ways, it felt as if the other characters ceased to exist when they were not interacting with Katniss.

I still have to give kudos to Collins for keeping the story interesting, creative, and fast paced. The world of the series is fascinating and I am moping over the fact that the books are done. I want to go back to book one and read them all over again.

As a final note, the epilogue was welcome, but I almost wish I could have imagined the ending for myself. Leaving the series a little open ended would have felt more in line with the set up of the novels.


RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments