What makes a book valuable?

Southeby's in London is set to auction of the most expensive book ever, John James Audubon's Birds of America. The beautiful tome is going up against a Shakespeare First Folio. Both items are expected to fetch several million dollars for the sellers. These items are undeniably beautiful (in form and content) and valuable - but it's easy for a book to be valuable when the tome is both opulent rare. Items like these belong in museums or libraries large enough to afford to care for and display such pieces of history.

While I love oohing and awing over expensive books as much as the next literary lover, I am more intrigued by everyday valuable books. I like books where the value is contained in memory. I read like a maniac, but only some books have ever been truly valuable to me.



Their value comes from the story.
I rarely keep books after I read them. I'm a love 'em and leave 'em type of girl when it comes to books, but a select few become long term affairs. I keep these items because the story is something I would want to read again. The story grabs me or the characters feel real, whatever the reason, I know I would pick up the book again. Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series is the first to come to mind. Jaime, Claire, and the plethora of other characters that populate this series have become a part of my literary family. The books are lengthy but never dull. It's a series I have read repeatedly and will continue to read with each new addition. Much like Gabaldon's work are the Harry Potter series. J.K. Rowling has created a world I wish I could inhabit, Voldemort and all. The imagination presented in these books makes each re-read a treat.

Their value comes from how they make me feel.
Certain books I retain because the subject matter is something I am passionate about. I have a shelf of books about books that will continue to grow. I'm going to hazard a generalization and say that most librarians or booklovers have a shelve or two of books about books. What can I say, we love reading about the reading. There's something that makes me warm and fuzzy inside whenever I reach for an item on this shelf. Even a bad book is still good because I get to read about reading.


Their value comes from who gave them to me. 
I consider myself a burgeoning minimalist. I'm constantly weeding and purging my belongings - this includes books. There are some items, however, that I will always keep. Namely, the Titanic books my father finds for me. Back in middle/high school I became uber-fascinated with Titanic (the ship, not the movie). Ever since then I've been the owner of a growing a collection of Titanic books. Some I've added myself, but most have come from my father. He is constantly keeping an eye out for books to send my way. New, used, rare, popular, it doesn't matter, he has a Titanic radar every time he enters a bookstore or library sale. Every Christmas morning, I look forward unwrapping the Titanic book that my father as placed under the tree. He has found so many items that I have yet to read most of them. Even if I never crack their covers past the first quick scan, I will always keep these items. Why? Because it's my dad's way of showing love. He is a librarian, too. My father gets more joy out of seeing people light up when he finds just the right book. He make my smile every time he places a new item in my hands.



People place value on books for all sorts of reasons. I love hearing the stories - it's one reason I decided to be a librarian. The sharing of books and how they affected the reader is one of the best ways to create a sense of community. It's also, in my opinion, the single best way to learn about new authors and undiscovered books. When you see how happy someone is to share a book a love, it's hard to ignore their recommendation. You may not love the book in the same way, but you can at least expand your horizons and, who knows, you may fall in love with book too.

Are there any valuable books in your life?

Comments