Book 86: All the Tea in China



TITLE: All the Tea in China

AUTHOR: Jane Orcutt
STARTED: November 23, 2009
FINISHED: November 24, 2009
PAGES: 352
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: I can abide neither a liar not a cheat, but you may be wont to think me such while I here relate my little tale.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Witty and fun-loving Isabella Goodrich defies cultural expectations and common sense as she sets off to the Orient to become a missionary. Book 1 in the Rollicky Regency series.

THOUGHTS: Yick. I really really really don't like it when the heroines of books piss me off. Isabella is a selfish, preening, bigot. I didn't like her and I didn't particularly care what happened to her in the end. In fact, I liked it when all her plans blew up in her face. Her character deserved it.

When I first started reading this book, I thought it would be the proselytizing that bothered me. Nope. In fact, that part of the story made sense and actually worked. It was Isabella alone who made me want to hurl this book into the fire. Never, in all my romance novel reading, have I dislike a heroine so damn much.

The only reason this book receives a 2/10 is because I liked the fact that the author picked a rarely used setting. Other than that, yick.

RATING: 2/10 [Awful]

Comments