Book 36: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

TITLE: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
AUTHOR: Judi Barret
STARTED: May 28, 2009
FINISHED: May 28, 2009
PAGES: 32
GENRE: Juvenile

FIRST SENTENCE: We were all sitting around the big kitchen table.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Grab your plates! In the land of Chewandswallow, meals - rather than rain or snow - fall from the sky. But something goes awry: the food falling from the sky gets larger and larger, causing the residents to make an escape before being squashed by giant pancakes or rolls. Ron Barrett dishes up some droll art work in this zany tall tale.

THOUGHTS: This is a personal favorite of mine. I read it over and over and over again when I was a kid. Clearly, when I decided to take the children's literature course, I would find a way to fit this book in. Victory! I love the imagination behind this book. It's a story about storytelling and creativity. What more could you want?

The illustrations in this book are phenomenal. They are so intricate and detailed that, to this day, I still find something new and laugh-out-loud worthy in them. Bonus points to Ms. Barret for making me crave frosted donuts every time I read this book.

Random Note: They're making a movie out of this book. My response after seeing the trailer: What did they do?!?!

RATING: 10/10 [Best. Book. Ever!]

Comments

kberge said…
This is, without a doubt, my favorite book in the whole world. I seem to recall bringing it to CUA to have Erin read our junior year. I've loved it pretty much my whole life.
Meghan said…
You have good taste my friend.