Wardrobe Awesomeness

I would be lying if I didn't admit that this PostSecret runs through my mind sometimes.

Librarians have been typied as stuffy old women. We have pencils through the buns in our hair, cat-eye glasses, and sensible shoes. While I will own up to the bun (it keeps the hair out of my face, deal with it) and the occasional sensible shoe wearing day (you would too if you were running around shelving books all day), I am not your stereotypical librarian. I like skirts that show of my curves and heels that highlight my gams. I also like to wear fun colored clothing (namely tights - I've got some hot pink ones for Friday).

In truth, I wear the clothes to knock down the stereotype. I like walking around seeing the undergrads think, "She's a librarian?!?!"

It probably helps that I'm really young (and remarkably cute if I do say so myself).

As a marketing scheme, clothing works wonders. Is there any better way to get people into the library by allowing them to see that we're not all shushers?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Today, day 3 of my new job, I told my boss that I really wanted to wear purple tights this morning, but that I was worried it would be against dress code. She, laughing, assured me it wasn't, so I'm turning out my silver and black striped tights for Friday.
Meghan said…
Tights make work more awesome. If they're shiny, even better.