Book 40: La Cucina

TITLE: La Cucina: A Novel of Rapture
AUTHOR: Lily Prior
STARTED: August 3, 2008
FINISHED: August 5, 2008
PAGES: 263
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: I lie luxuriantly on the table, the cool, silky oak sticking to my naked flesh.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Since childhood, Rosa Fiore -- daughter of a sultry Sicilian matriarch and her hapless husband -- found solace in her family's kitchen. La Cucina, the heart of the family's lush estate, was a place where generations of Fiore women prepared sumptuous feasts and where the drama of extended family life was played out around the age-old table.

When Rosa was a teenager, her own cooking became the stuff of legend in this small community that takes pride in the bounty of its landscape and the eccentricity of its inhabitants. Rosa's infatuation with culinary arts was rivaled only by her passion for a young man, Bartolomeo, who, unfortunately, belonged to another. After their love affair ended in tragedy, Rosa retreated first into her kitchen and then into solitude, as a librarian in Palermo. There she stayed for decades, growing corpulent on her succulent dishes, resigned to a loveless life.

Then, one day, she meets the mysterious chef, known only is I'Inglese, whose research on the heritage of Sicilian cuisine leads him to Rosa's library, and into her heart. They share one sublime summer of discovery, during which I'lnglese awakens the power of Rosa's sensuality, and together they reach new heights of culinary passion. When I'Inglese suddenly vanishes, Rosa returns home to the farm to grieve for the loss of her second love. In the comfort of familiar surroundings, among her, growing family, she discovers the truth about her loved ones and finds her life transformed once more by the magic of her cherished Cucina.

THOUGHTS: I want to lick this book. Seriously. The way Prior writes about food had my mouth watering from the first few pages. The plot of this book is simple - spinster reflects on life as she experiences and adult love affair - but the writing is magical. I devoured this book. Devoured it whole.

Rosa is a character I can relate to. She's serious minded but given to daydreams. She is independent but recognizes that there is a community of people supporting her. She is also passionate. Passionate about food and, later, passionate about her lover(s). She was simply real and someone I would want to know (not just because she's one hell of a cook). Prior must have had Rosa floating around in her head for some time. She is a complete character, one with feelings, emotions, and a story.

That story is the foundation for this book. While the novel focuses on Rosa's mid-life love affair, it is told through her reminiscence of the past. The story is not linear, but the reader is never lost. I'm going to be cheesy (pun!) and say that this book unfolds like a delicious lasagna. There are layers upon layers of goodness that are made better by the fact that they are consumed together.

I would read this book again simply for the lyrical writing. It is so descriptive - particularly when Prior talks about food and cooking - that my mind was transported. I was not in my room. I was in a kitchen in Italy, surrounded by the aromas of baking bread and olives. The food is brilliantly portrayed and so are the settings. Having been to Italy I can tell you that Prior got it right. The streets, the apartments, the stores, the essence that is Italy was there. The writing of this story grabbed me from the first sentence and enchanted me until the last page.

The only problem I had with La Cucina was that the ending was wrapped up in a neat bow. I know Prior was writing her own fairytale, but the ending felt lackluster in comparison to the rest of the novel.

Fun fact! The Boyfriend and I made ravioli from scratch the day before I started this. This first chapter starts with a woman making ravioli. Clearly my timing was fated. Also, clearly we forgot the water in our pasta dough and that was why it was a little tough. We shall just have to try again.

RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

Comments