Patron of the Moment: Double Space

While walking a FULL cart of books back to my office...

Patron: Excuse me, do you work here?
Me: [Thinks about what I must look like] Yes.
Patron: Can you help me?
Me:
Sure, what can I do for you?
Patron: I need to double-space.
Me: Where's you're laptop?
Patron: I'm not on a laptop. I'm on a desktop in the lab.
Me: Oh! Those computers do not have Word installed. They only have a viewer. You can't edit documents.
Patron: I just need to double-space. Show me how.
Me: You can't on those computers.
Patron: Can you just double-space it for me.
Me: On those computers, you can't edit a Word document. You can only view and print. If you get a laptop from the Circulation desk you can edit your document.
Patron: Just come double space this for me. They want it double-spaced.
Me: You can't double-space on those computers.
Patron: I don't know how. Please just show me.
Me: I can show you on a laptop, but not on that computer. Come with me to the Circulation desk. After you check out a laptop, I can show you how to double space.
Patron: *sigh* I will figure it out myself. *wanders away*

Despite thinking I was rather clear and helpful at the time, I can't help but think I failed somehow.

Comments

I think this was one of those times that nothing you could say would help that person. That patron was way too focused on the problem to hear your solution.

Patty
Meghan said…
More than likely. Although this problem would be solved by adding a sign that says "There is no Word on these computers."