Book 3: I Am America (And So Can You!)

TITLE: I Am America (And So Can You!)
AUTHOR: Stephen Colbert
STARTED: January 14, 2007
FINISHED: January 17, 2007
PAGES: 230
GENRE: Humor

FIRST SENTENCE: I am no fan of books.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Congratulations -- just by opening the cover of this book you became 25% more patriotic.

From Stephen Colbert, the host of television's highest-rated punditry show The Colbert Report, comes the book to fill the other 23½ hours of your day. I Am America (and So Can You!) contains all of the opinions that Stephen doesn't have time to shoehorn into his nightly broadcast.

Dictated directly into a microcassette recorder over a three-day weekend, this book contains Stephen's most deeply held knee-jerk beliefs on The American Family, Race, Religion, Sex, Sports, and many more topics, conveniently arranged in chapter form.

Always controversial and outspoken, Stephen addresses why Hollywood is destroying America by inches, why evolution is a fraud, and why the elderly should be harnessed to millstones.

You may not agree with everything Stephen says, but at the very least, you'll understand that your differing opinion is wrong.

I Am America (and So Can You!) showcases Stephen Colbert at his most eloquent and impassioned. He is an unrelenting fighter for the soul of America, and in this book he fights the good fight for the traditional values that have served this country so well for so long.

THOUGHTS: The book may not be as good as the show, but it is still terribly entertaining. Colbert and his team do a pretty good job of translating his smarmy, self-assured pundit from television to print. Oftentimes, I could hear Colbert in my head as he narrated the text. There's not much I can say about the actual content of the book. The chapters are pretty self-explanatory and, since Colbert does not once break character, if you're a fan of the show, you know what your in for.

I did love the little margin notes, it was like "The Word" segment and highly amusing.

And, yes, it took all of two weeks for me to break my rule of updating my blog within a week of reading the book. I shall endeavor to try harder this time.

RATING: 8/10 [Terrific]

Comments