Mine!

*begin Victory Dance to end all Victory Dances*

I've finally done it! MUHAHAHAHAHA.

It has only taken me a few years, but I finally secured myself first edition, hardcover copy of Mark Bowden's Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War. Tis my favorite book and my paperback copy is looking the worse for wear. There are actual creases in the spine - which I never do.

My friends and I were killing time before heading to a bar for another's friends birthday. We were strolling around the bookstores of Dupont Circle when we wandered into Second Story Books. That store is like coming home to me. It just feels so comforting to walk in there and be surrounded by all the used books. It reminds me of the used bookstore I used to work at... with fewer piles on the floor.

I've haunted Second Story for a couple of years now, and I always keep an eye out for certain titles, namely Black Hawk Down. Ever since I read the book back in high school, the book snob in me has wanted to own it in hardcover. As a first edition. In almost pristine condition. And I didn't want to pay a gazillion dollars to get it.

Clearly, that is not to much to ask.

So, every time I was near Second Story, I would pop-in and peruse the military section. Usually to no avail. They had copies, but not that all perfect copy I was looking for.

Then, last Friday, there it was. In fact, there THEY were. That's right - suddenly, Second Story had two first edition copies for me to choose from. Victory.

I sat and compared the copies for condition. I ended up walking out with the slightly more expensive copy because it did not have foxing on the edges of the pages.

Now, it's mine. All mine. And that makes me a very happy lady.

Comments