Book 58: Rising Wind

NUMBER: 58
TITLE: Rising Wind
AUTHOR: Cindy Holby
STARTED: October 16, 2007
FINISHED: October 19, 2007
PAGES: 338
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: "Ye must go."

SUMMARY: [From Cindy Colby's website] Leaving behind the Highlands for the New World at the tender age of ten, Connor Duncan learned quickly that only the fit and the fortunate survive. He was both, becoming a scout and an expert marksman…a man to be reckoned with. He knew his way through the backwoods as well as any Shawnee, but he was far less comfortable in the drawing rooms of Williamsburg. What was a rough-hewn frontiersman like he to do with a sheltered beauty like the governor’s niece? But there seemed to be no way to avoid the “Virgin Widow,” especially when she insisted on accompanying him on a dangerous mission through the wilderness to Fort Savannah. Neither capture, nor torture, nor the violent birth pangs of a young nation could keep them apart or stop the founding of a brand new dynasty of Duncans.

REASON FOR READING: A colonial romance? I am so there.

THOUGHTS: I wish I wasn't there. This was just plain bad. The author forced the story, forced the interactions, and forced stupid "our lives are intertwined" moments that just made me want to claw my eyes out. There was no chemistry between the leads which led me to ask, "Why do they like each other?" every other page. If you want a lesson is how to mis-use tried and true romance novel characters, plots, and themes, read this book. For me, the story has to have a natural, organic growth and flow to be good. This book's plot was far too contrived to be enjoyable.

The one even remotely interesting aspect of this book was the discussion on the Native Americans as the marched back to camp. That lasted all of 2 pages and then it was back to, "Save me! You Love!" writing.

Oi, so not worth the time.

MISCELLANEOUS: Cover snark!

RATING: 1/10

Comments

Lesa~Dragon said…
Hi there..
I've been clicking thru your site (I find it quite humorous and very distracting from the work of the mundain) and I was wondering how you pick your 'romance' reads.

I've seen books by authors I know, MacAlister, Roberts, Roth and Mallery - and others I don't or wouldn't because they're period.

From the clicking around I gather that friends have suggested some of your choices while others have been gifts. I really like the Christmas books swap idea, and plan to suggest it to my family as a fun way to share more titles for things to chat about.

I appreciate the candid and frank comments, and look forward to watching you reach your goal of 100 books by the end of the year.

If your Mt. TBR begins to sag in it's grandure, I would be happy to suggest some of my favorite romance authors to help boost it up.

Thanks!!
Meghan said…
Lesa - Most of my romance reads are random books I found on other blogs. I find a lot over on Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. If you want a humorous distracting read, go check that one out.

And despite the size of my Mt. TBR, I am more than happy to hear about other great books.

Thanks for the comments!