Buns and Boots

A couple of the library blogs I read have been all a flurry with a story out of New Zealand. Apparently, just before that countries version of the ALA conference there was much ado about the fact that Paula Ryan, a fashionista, would be delivering a workshop on how librarians could update their wardrobe. New Zealand's TV3 has a video of the story here. There was a "How dare she!" uproar surrounding the event.

While I can understand why some people would be offended by the idea that a non-librarian was selected to speak about what a librarian "should" try to wear, my thinking on this amounts to a single phrase."So what?"

So what if there is a librarian wardrobe stereotype? So what if some librarians want to break out of the Marian mold. So what if some librarians want to and/or need to stick to their comfy wardrobes and shoes. Does it really matter? Every job has it's stereotypes. I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Then again, in the interest of full disclosure, I happen to be one of those young, "hipster" librarians. I wear the knee high boots. I wear the flirty dresses. I can rock the jeans and cute top. I can and do dress outside of the "comfort only" realm of my wardrobe. (My roommate Jennifer always feared I'd revert to pajamas and sweats... much like I did during college.)

I freely admit, I look more like some wearing J.Crew and H&M. But, then again, I also love my bun. It's so darn useful and it keeps the hair out of my face. Sometimes, I like to wear the comfy shoes because I know I will be on my feet all day.

So call me Marian if you want. It makes me smile.

Comments

Kathleen said…
but buns are easy and fun. Right? I am rocking the bun look today, so we will call that solidarity!