Printed Screen

I should have written this entry ages ago but I just have not been in the mood to blog. I'm still not in the mood to blog. Then again, if I don't sit down and write this entry now, it may never see the light of day.

Several weeks ago, some friends and I embarked on a double feature of movies that just happened to related to books. The first movie we saw was "Becoming Jane." I should probably preface by saying that I am addicted to all things romantic. I didn't matter how much this movie could have screwed up fact (and boy did it), I would love it anyway. The film did not disappoint.

I'll be the first to admit that this film took reality and, for the most part, threw it out the window. "Becoming Jane" Austenified Austen. It was fantabulous. From a completely structural standpoint, the movie was beautifully shot and wonderfully scored. The actors had passion and chemistry that simply leaped off the screen - that goes for the Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy, and the entire supporting cast. While I did find myself longing for the ever talented Ioan Gruffudd to play Tom Lefroy, McAvoy did a superb job. Hathaway also did a fantastic job or not only nailing the British accent (at least for an American audience) but also making Jane someone you could admire as both person and author. The secondary characters (namely Maggie Smith and James Cromwell) brought a lot of zest and talent to the screen.

As far as the story goes, it definitely helped that I went into this film not expecting it to be true-to-life. I was expecting the romance novel-esque tale of a part of Austen's life. Happily, I got what I was expecting. There were a couple of scenes between Jane and Tom that had me asking, "Is it warm in here?" The story relies entirely on devices ripped straight out of Austen's novels. It lends the story the idea that Austen wrote what she knew. Whether or not this is actually true, it worked quite well for the books. Then again, if you haven't read the novels (and I've only read Pride & Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility - go see the sidebar) a lot will go over your head. I'm wondering how much I missed because I only read two of Austen's works. It's a good things I have plans to read more... and buy the movie.

I saw only one downside to the film, it made Austen seem like she needed a muse, as if she could not come up with her great novels on her own. Boo to that. Then again, if I had the handsome James McAvoy as my muse, I might be inspired in a few ways as well.

The second movie we saw was The Bourne Ultimatum. I've only read The Bourne Identity and there was really no connection (aside from name and general plot ideas) between the book and the movie. While I have not read the third book, I would expect the same. Part of me hopes that they make a fourth movie, but they could also ends the series here and I would be just as happy.

There was fantastic parallelism between the first and third movies. The hair dying scene... yowza! And bless the writers from staying away from the so-easy-to-slip-into-romance plot between Julia Stiles and Damon. Despite my love of romance, that would have killed the movie. I'm glad the stuck with the one man on a mission theme.

Once again, the series wows with fantastic filming that is fraught with tension and grittiness. The camera is in the action and the viewer goes with it. Normally, hand held camera shots make me woozy and generally leave me annoyed. Not so much with this series - it makes the scenes feel more intense without ever stepping into the arena of overly dramatic.

The cast is flawless. Bringing on David Strathairn was a movie of genius. That guy makes villiany look good.

Also, to really draw the parallel between this movie and books I suggest you keep a close eye on the fight scene between Bourne and the assassin Desh.

Matt Damon is a bad ass.

Comments

Jennie said…
OH! I thought I was the only person around who's in love with Ioan Gruffudd! Have you seen him as Horatio Hornblower? Ahh. And Amazing Grace, of course. He's being completely wasted in those Fabulous Four movies. WASTED, I say.

But I did enjoy James McAvoy--he is gorgeous too and his eyes are all mesmerizing and beautiful. :)

I just saw this movie last weekend and I liked it too--especially the way you'd notice lines and incidents from her books popping up. Like Shakespeare in Love that way.
Meghan said…
OMG do I enjoy Ioan. My roomie and I saw "Amazing Grace" on a preview weekend simply because he was in it. This same roomie also was the one who introduced me to the Hornblower series. She rationed each episode out to me over a course of two weeks. Needless to say, I bought the boxed set. Actually, I am long overdo for a Hornblower marathon. Hello deck shower scene!

And I agree with you about the Fantastic Four series. I've avoided them so far - but they do put a sad note in my need to see everything Ioan has ever done. I want to get my hands on one of his earliest films, "Solomon And Gaenor," but I can't get my hands on a copy.