Book 45: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

NUMBER: 45
TITLE: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
AUTHOR: Ken Kesey
STARTED: August 10, 2007
FINISHED: August 17, 2007
PAGES: 311
GENRE: Fiction

FIRST SENTENCE: They're out there.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Ken Kesey's story of life in a state mental hospital is a classic of American literature.

REASON FOR READING: It won the "What literary classic should I have read in high school" poll

THOUGHTS: For a book I was expecting to have to plod through, this was not that bad. There were definitely moments where I was bored, but they were easily forgotten once McMurphy entered the scene. I really don't have much to say about this novel aside from the fact that I can see why it has become a classic.

Also, I like how the entire thing could be read as an allegory. I found myself making some parallels between the story of good v. evil and the current political climate.

It's not something I would ever pick up again, but it was interesting.

MISCELLANEOUS: I can totally see why Jack Nicholson was chosen to play McMurphy in the movie.

RATING: 6/10 [Good]

Comments

John Mutford said…
I'm okay seeing a movie after reading the book, but I find it very difficult to do the reverse. This one was sitting on my shelf unread for so long that I finally just donated it to the library.