Book 3: Y The Last Man: Kimono Dragons

NUMBER: 3
TITLE: Y the Last Man: Kimono Dragons
AUTHOR: Brian K. Vaughan
STARTED: January 28, 2007
FINISHED: January 28, 2007
PAGES: 144
GENRE: Graphic Novel

FIRST SENTENCE: Man is a fool.

SUMMARY: [From Boing Boing] In the new edition, Kimono Dragons, Yorick and Ampersand end up in Tokyo, which is miraculously unscathed -- or at least, so it seems. As they explore further, it becomes apparent that the Yakuza has been taken over by ruthless Japanese subculture teenagers -- Harajuku Bridge meets the Sopranos -- and that the vice industry continues to thrive.

REASON FOR READING: I've been waiting (impatiently) for the latest volume to come out.

THOUGHTS: When I first read this series, I purged on the first six books. I read them one after another, and loved them. In reading book 8 as a standalone, I felt bereft. The series, while still good, did not have the same magic. The jump into Tokyo, at least along the lines of 355 and Yorick, seemed unnecessary. I can understand the importance of tracking down Dr. Mann's mother, but everything else just seemed like filler. The story did not get interesting again until Alter, the Israeli military leader, returns. She wants so much to track down Yorick that her storyline is almost more dramatic than the last mans.

For me, this edition for the series felt like one giant setup. I'm sure everything in this particular volume will end up being incredibly relevant. Right now, however, it was simply filler.

The art of this series continues to be simplistic, but I found this particular series to be more movie like than ever before. Instead of graphic novel, I was reading filmic storyboards. Perhaps that has something to do with the film rights being optioned by New Line Cinema.

MISCELLANEOUS: Children of Men much?

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): Back to Tony. I will buy my own someday.
RATING: 7/10 [Very Good]

Comments