Monday, August 28, 2006

Seen on the Metro #1

As I was commuting home on the metro last Friday, I saw a sight that made me smile. A young, african american male was reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Not only was a half way through the book, he actually looked enthralled. We're talking dog-earred pages, a creased spine, and everything. I'm sure the book was assigned for school (they recently started in my area), but it was a sight I was glad to see.

The whole picture also made me giggle because the reader was probably not Austen's targeted demographic.

5 comments:

Zeek said...

Oh WOW~ I woulda been all over him! (In a ymmuy way!) Seeing a man reading any novel is hot~ reading an Austen? grrrrr baby!

Wonder if his girlfriend set him hip to it ala Meg Ryan's character in You've Got Mail ...

Gates Books said...

He looked like he was about 16. A bit young for me... otherwise, all bets would have been off.

Zeek said...

HA! I see your point. Yeah, that is a wee tad too young!

stephanie said...

what kind of freaky racist are you--why is this shocking?!
yea, probably assigned it at school...there's no way an african american guy would be into a BOOK

Meghan said...

Stephanie, it was not that fact that the boy was an African American, but that he was a male.

Jane Austen tends to be read predominantly by females - that why seeing a guy reading it was shocking.