Book 20: Extreme Exposure

NUMBER: 20
TITLE: Extreme Exposure
AUTHOR: Pamela Clare
STARTED: February 26, 2006
FINISHED: February 28, 2006
PAGES: 335
GENRE: Romance

FIRST SENTENCE: Kara McMillan was going to kill her best friend.

SUMMARY: [From barnesandnoble.com] Meet Kara McMillan, single mother, investigative reporter, and romantic cynic. Inspired by three margaritas on a Friday night, Kara throws caution to the winds in a chance encounter with Senator Reese Sheridan at the skankiest bar in Denver. Their passionate affair starts quickly, even as Kara begins an investigation into a major environmental scandal, aided by a mysterious whistle-blower. Just as Kara begins to open up her heart, her discoveries prompt anonymous threats to her life and that of her young son, Connor. The suspense mounts as Kara is whisked away to a remote safe house that turns out to be anything but.

REASON FOR READING: I find myself falling for Pamela Clare's books

THOUGHTS: This is Clare's first contemporary romance novel... and you can tell. She's trying to hard. It took her until almost the end of the book to finally settle into this area of the genre. I thought she was too vulgar and explicit at the beginning. Which was not good considering I started reading this on an airplane as I was flying to my chosen Spring Break destination - Las Vegas. There was more that one moment where I flat out guffawed loudly on the early morning flight. Purple jiggly stick?!? Come on now.

I will certainly continue to read this series but, so far, I don't find it nearly as good as her historicals. Also, summary writer... you neglected to say it was a State Senator. I was expecting the book to be set in Washington,DC not Colorado.

MISCELLANEOUS: Why aren't romances ever set in DC?

KEEP/SHARE/CRINGE(?): PBSing
RATING: 6/10 [Good]

CR: The Captain's Lady by Margaret McPhee
RN: Decoding Advertisements by Judith Williamson

Comments